Smart Garden Offices are designed not to require planning permission in most locations. Usually there is no garden office permission required. However there are circumstances and factors that can require our full – and free – planning application service.
The planning permission process is not a problem here at Smart. Our garden rooms are built to satisfy planning regulations and we have extensive experience in ensuring your local council is happy with the proposed plans. So garden office plans are not usually required.
In 10 % of locations planning permission may be required. Especially if:
- You select our Highline or Cantilevered roof line and choose to locate the building within 2 metres of your boundary
- You are in an area of outstanding natural beauty
- The garden office will occupy more than 50% of your garden.
- The building will be located between the home and the highway.
Planning permission is not a popular phrase, and can often put people off starting a garden office project. However we manage the entire application on your behalf at Smart HQ. Our service is completely free, the only fee applicable is the charge your council apply for the application (usually £172)
How are Smart Garden Offices designed to not require garden office planning permission?
- Unless you opt for our varying roof options, the standard Smart roof falls below the 2.5m, meaning the height is within the new planning guidelines.
- Our garden rooms are designed for longevity but they are considered to be a moveable structure.
Your local council can provide you with information and guidance on planning permission and regulations. Or simply call us on 0800 242 5559
Find out about your local planning requirements from your council: